United States of America
Bethesda Home for Boys (http://www.bethesdaforboys.org/)
- Addresses the needs of young men who are failing educationally, socially, and emotionally to progress toward a life of self-sufficiency and productive citizenship.
- This ministry provides pastoral counseling to individuals, couples and families. Many people are unable to afford services through the Center and our support assists those who cannot.
Chatham-Savannah Citizen’s Advocacy (http://www.savannahcitizenadvocacy.org/)
- Mission is to recruit concerned, competent people to advocate for a disabled person who is being abused, neglected, or expected to endure segregation.
Coastal Jail Ministries of Georgia (http://www.cjmga.org/)
- The Chatham County Detention Center houses Coastal Jail Ministries of Georgia. Prisoners are free to be enrolled in a Christ-centered ministry that has a profound impact in reducing the number of persons who are released and then convicted of another crime. The reconviction rate without the program nationally is 85%, whereas in Chatham County the reconviction rate is only 7%.
Epworth By The Sea (http://www.epworthbythesea.org/)
- Our United Methodist retreat center at St. Simon’s Island, Georgia, that provides many opportunities for spiritual growth formation for people of all ages. • Gateway Community UMC http://gatewaysavannah.com/ Our monies are used to help grow a new church in the Pooler area under the direction of Rev. Matt Hearn.
Greenbriar Children Center (http://www.greenbriarchildrenscenter.org/)
- An emergency shelter and long-term residential care facility for at risk children in the Savannah area.
Habitat for Humanity (http://www.habitatsavannah.org/)
- A nonprofit, self-help, ecumenical Christian housing ministry designed to make home ownership possible for low-income families. Through volunteer labor and contributions, Habitat builds or rehabilitates simple houses. Each homeowner family makes a 1% down payment and invests 350 hours of sweat equity in their home.
His Love Ministries (http://www.hisloveministries.net/)
- The mission of His Love Ministries is to spread the gospel throughout prisons, jails, correctional transition centers, nursing homes and the local community. This is done by providing worship services, bible studies and substance abuse programs.
Inner City Night Shelter
- A non-profit institution organized to provide shelter, food, clothing and a bed at night, to homeless persons. The Soup Kitchen is open every day of the year and the only facility available to the needy on Sundays.
Interfaith Hospitality Network (http://www.familypromise.org/)
- This is a non-profit organization that works to alleviate homelessness by providing shelter, meals and assistance for homeless families. The network, made up of 8-15 host churches, provides overnight accommodations and meals for the families for one week at a time. We are now a host congregation.
Kairos Prison Ministry (http://www.kairosprisonministry.org/)
- Kairos is a Christian, lay-led, ecumenical, international volunteer prison ministry in which men and women volunteers bring Christ’s love and forgiveness to incarcerated individuals and their families. This ministry currently operates in 270 prisons in 33 states and 19 countries and has touched the lives of more than 170,000 men and women. Our financial support helps the Kairos Ministry at Rogers State Prison in Reidsville, Georgia.
The Living Vine (http://www.thelivingvine.org/)
- A Christian maternity home in Savannah called to minister to women in crisis pregnancies. They provide food, shelter, Christian counseling, etc.
Magnolia Manor (http://www.magnoliamanor.com/)
- There are four campuses in our South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church: Americus, Macon, Moultrie, and Richmond Hill that minister to the aging. Our financial gifts go to the League of the Good Samaritan to help those who cannot afford to be residents of our Magnolia Manor facilities on their own.
Methodist Children’s Home (http://www.themethodisthome.org/)
- With 6 sites across South Georgia, the Children’s Home is an agency of the United Methodist Church and has, since 1872, provided residential services for children who are dependent, neglected and abused.
Meals On Wheels (http://www.mowaa.org/)
- Isle of Hope UMC volunteers are responsible for delivering Meals on Wheels midday in the area Mondays – Fridays.
Old Savannah City Mission (http://www.oscm.org/)
- A Savannah-based gospel rescue mission dedicated to serving the poor and homeless. They provide an emergency shelter, food distribution and a residential relational rehabilitation program.
Park Place Outreach (http://parkplaceyes.org/)
- Provides a safe environment and counseling to young people with problems in their homes and families.
Safe Shelter (http://safeshelter.org/)
- Provides a temporary safe haven for battered and abused women and their children.
Saint Mary’s Community Center (http://www.sjchs.org/)
- This center is an agency of St. Joseph’s-Candler that is working towards revitalizing the Cuyler-Brownsville area of Savannah. The Community Center provides food, clothing, emergency assistance, home repairs, continuing education classes and health screening and education for the residents of the area.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Coastal Georgia (http://feedingamerica.org/)
- A program to feed the hungry of our community and eliminate food waste by soliciting and distributing food to the elderly, ill and needy children and adults. Ten “Kid’s Cafes” provide year-round nutritious afternoon meals to children of low-income families.
Social Apostolate of Savannah (no working website)
- Provides meals, clothes, hygienic needs, groceries, transportation, and other necessities to the homeless and at-risk individuals and families.
Union Mission (http://www.unionmission.org/)
- Provides housing and supportive services for homeless people in a setting that encourages responsibility, offers the opportunity for independence and self-sufficiency, works to educate the community, and advocates against systemic barriers that cause homelessness.
Vashti Center (http://www.vashti.org/)
- An agency of the United Methodist Church, Vashti is an intermediate treatment center for children with severe emotional problems. Vashti, located in Thomasville, Georgia, is often the last step before going to a youth detention center for many children and youth. The center offers a safe environment, individual instruction, chapel services and a Christian education.
Waterfront Church (http://thewaterfrontchurch.com/)
- The Waterfront Church is a new United Methodist Church plant launched in 2011 in Richmond Hill, Georgia by Rev. Adam Ricker and his wife Rebecca. The population of the Richmond Hill area has grown by 184 percent since 1990 which makes it a natural fit for a new church plant. The Rickers are excited about sharing the love of Christ with the community.
We Care Meals
- Our church pays for and serves a hot lunch for families of patients once a month in the Intensive Care units at Memorial Health University Center.
Wesley Community Center (http://www.wesleyctrs-savh.org/)
- A United Methodist Missions Institution that works to meet the needs of women, children and youth. Some of their programs include a Child Care and Development Center, crisis intervention services, family advocacy services, adult literacy, Youth Arts Project, and Sister Works Project (provides support groups and counseling for those who have experienced domestic violence). The Wesley Women’s Center helps women overcome social, economic, educational and racial barriers, which isolate them and hinder their growth.
- This is our United Methodist presence on our state college campuses. Our gifts provide programming, leadership and facilities at Armstrong Atlantic State University, Savannah State University, Savannah College of Art and Design and Georgia Southern University, to enable students to be nurtured in their spiritual development.
Wesley Glen Ministries (http://www.wesleyglenministries.org/)
- Provides group homes with a Christian atmosphere for mentally disabled adults who can care for themselves with supported living.
Wycliffe Bible Translators (http://www.wycliffe.org/)
- IOHUMC provides support to Michael and Alanna Boutin in the Wycliffe ministry of translating the Bible in Texas, Cathy and Phil Davison in Mali and John and Rosalie Rentz in New Zealand.
Young Life (http://sites.younglife.org/)
- A mission community of young adults committed to reaching adolescent youth with the gospel by building personal relationships with the youth. Young Life meetings (for High School students) and Wyldlife (for Junior High Youth) are held weekly. There are also opportunities for Bible study and camps.