This adult choir leads music year-round in our Traditional Sunday worship services at 8:45 and 11:15 a.m. All adults are welcome with or without previous choral experience and no audition is required. Rehearsals are Wednesday nights, 7:00-8:30 p.m. The choir is committed to providing music of high quality in many styles to glorify God and open the hearts of the congregation to God’s word.
Women seeking a ministry that combines music and missions will find a place in the Ladies’
Chorus. This choir meets on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month 9-11 a.m.,
under the direction of Andy Verdis. While the Ladies’ Chorus does occasionally sing in worship,
its primary focus is visiting local nursing homes and retirement communities.
Men who enjoy singing uplifting music especially in gospel, spiritual and contemporary styles will fit right in. This chorus gathers for five-week sessions, three or four times a year, to prepare music for the Traditional services on a given Sunday. Rehearsals are Sunday evenings, 7-8 p.m.
The Handbell Choir meets September through April or early May, rehearsing on Sundays, 6-7 p.m. Our three-octave set of English Handbells is beautiful to hear and watch, and provide an inspiring enhancement to our Traditional worship services, especially on festive Sundays. The handbells play in worship four or five times a year. Some music reading ability is necessary.
Full-length cantatas with orchestra, sometimes fully staged, are presented during Advent and on Palm Sunday. All adult singers are welcome. Rehearsal schedules will be announced seasonally.
Arts from the Island
A self-supporting arts outreach ministry that promotes missions and spiritual growth. Its goals are:
- Support the stated purpose and mission of Isle of Hope UMC, and tap into its unique passion for outreach.
- Send music and other arts groups outside of the church, seeking to make a difference in the lives of others through both service and the sharing of talent.
- Open the lives of our musicians and artists to God’s transformative power as we experience God’s grace working in difficult circumstances.
Arts From the Island is committed to feeding spiritually hungry people in our community – those frequenting homeless shelters, those in nursing homes, those in health-care facilities – through music and arts programs. If you have a passion for music and the arts and want to share God’s love through them, we invite you to join us. If you have an idea for sharing God’s love through music and the arts, we invite you to contact us.
View our Arts from the Island Newsletter
Community Outreach Relationships
Inner City Night Shelter – Mission teams from our church serve dinner here on the second Sunday each month. Small music ensembles provide music during the meal.
- Nursing Homes – In addition to the Ladies’ Chorus monthly trips on Tuesday mornings, other ensembles of various types and sizes visit assisted living facilities once monthly, usually on the 4th Saturday.
- Old Savannah City Mission – The Men’s Chorus sometimes brings music and a message on Sunday evenings during the hour before dinner is served.
- Savannah Baptist Center – Our church has become the sponsor of their annual Christmas Luncheon, scheduled this year for December 10th. After presenting our Christmas Cantata in their sanctuary, we provide lunch for the guests in their social hall.
- Shut-in Member Visits – Small groups occasionally visit loved ones in their homes, wanting to keep them connected through hymn singing and private worship
- Hope Band – Leads music in a variety of worship settings, including services and revivals at churches of different denominations, and other community gatherings such as the Great Day of Thanksgiving at Old Savannah City Mission, HIS Love Ministry Banquet at the Coastal Transition Center, and the Georgia Power Ambassadors.