Isle of Hope United Methodist Church (www.iohumc.com) in Savannah, Georgia, is accepting applications for an experienced Director of Traditional Music Ministries, and a Director of Student Ministries. Applications should be emailed to Rev. Mike Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 22, 2023.
Isle of Hope is a beautiful island community only 20 minutes from historic downtown. Isle of Hope UMC is a mission-oriented 2000-member church offering both traditional and modern worship services, with average weekly attendance of 350, and a traditional choir of 25-30 voices. This is an exciting opportunity to join a team dedicated to vibrant worship.
Director of Traditional Music Ministries
Overview: Lead traditional music and other arts ministries in cooperation with the clergy, staff, and lay leaders, in alignment with the needs, resources, and mission of the Church.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Lead all groups for the church’s traditional music and other arts ministries
- Conduct the Chancel Choir, Men’s Chorus, and Handbell Choir
- Provide music and other arts as assigned for traditional worship services and related activities of the Church
- Involve church members in music and arts ministries according to their gifts and passions
- Supervise the organization and care of the music library, including copyright and licensing issues, along with all resources, equipment, instruments, and supplies in the music area
- Present seasonal cantatas and other special musical events
- Engage music and other arts groups in outreach ministries, such as Arts from the Island
- Involve Chancel Choir members in annual retreats and workshops
- Plan fellowship activities for various music and other arts groups
- Provide music resources to program staff and lay leaders
- Select music for worship in collaboration with pastoral leadership
- Schedule music groups in worship
- Recruit lay leaders, soloists, contract musicians, and any other needed participants for music and arts ministries
- Prepare and manage annual music ministry budget of $20K
- Attend regular staff meetings and various committee meetings
- Supervise, develop, and provide feedback for the evaluation process for the Assistant Director of Traditional Music (Pianist/Organist) and the Children’s Music Assistant
- Serve as staff liaison with sanctuary audio/video production team to communicate, schedule, and recruit volunteers
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor
Qualifications for Successful Candidates:
- Growing faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, and familiar with United Methodist/Wesleyan worship, theology, and doctrine
- College degree(s) in music, preferably at the graduate level
- Experience and knowledge of hymnody and sacred choral music
- Experience leading music in a wide range of styles
- Conducting skills
- Understand basic vocal technique
- Able to play a keyboard instrument; the ability to play additional musical instruments is highly desirable
- Able to arrange and adapt music for various ensembles and levels of ability
- Fluent in music notation and notation software such as Sibelius or Finale
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows and various applications including Microsoft Outlook and Word, and in Google Suite applications such as Gmail, Docs, and Sheets
- Proficient or trainable in Church-specific software such as ACS and Facility Scheduler
- Full-time/exempt salary commensurate with experience and education
- Employer-sponsored medical insurance (church pays a portion of premium)
- Paid insurance including AD&D, short- and long-term disability, and life
- Paid time off for holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- Retirement plan, with church match of up to 6% of personal contribution at eligibility
- Professional development opportunities
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the Music Search Committee at email@example.com by March 22, 2023
Director of Student Ministries
Job Description and Position Overview:
Isle of Hope United Methodist Church in Savannah, GA is seeking an experienced Director of Student Ministries to lead a dynamic and welcoming Student Ministry from middle Scholl (6th-8th grade), high school, and college through young adulthood (18-25).
Qualifications and Gifts Desired:
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior demonstrated in daily living and a calling to ministry. A personal theology which is consistent with UMC/Wesleyan doctrine and an alignment with the vision and mission of Isle of Hope United Methodist Church.
- A passion for ministering to others, particularly students, their families, and young adults with the gospel of Jesus Christ; ensuring their growth and development into fully devoted followers of Christ who will impact this and future generations.
- Education: A Bachelor's degree with additional theological training (seminary or a Licensed Local Pastor on course to complete the UMC Course of Study).
- Five years of relevant experience in delivering successful student ministry.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills (particularly in building and leading teams of volunteers).
- The spiritual; gifts of teaching and equipping, discipleship, discernment, hospitality, spiritual leadership, and administration are highly desirable.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software and/or equivalent Mac/Apple software.
- Proficient or trainable with standard office equipment and church specific software currently ACS/Church Life and Planning Center.
- Lead and supervise all programming for student ministry (education, discipleship, fellowship, and outreach) to reach and grow disciples.
- Foster relationships with parents to build Christ-centered relationships with students.
- Attend student activities across a variety of schools for outreach and to build relationships with students and families.
- Recruit, train, encourage, and equip student and adult volunteer leadership.
- Oversee Sunday School (grades 6-12) and the Confirmation Class and process including teacher and volunteer recruitment; selection of curriculum and resource materials.
- Oversee the planning and execution of missions and special events (retreats, recognitions, etc.)
- Develop budget, coordinate student communications strategy, and collaborate with other staff on the overall ministry of the church.
- Assist in Worship and Congregational Care as assigned by the Senior Pastor and other duties as assigned.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 22, 2023